Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Are We The Only Working Parents Out There?

The wife and I went to see L's Christmas play last night, it (she) was brilliant. Ever since she started going to a theatre group her confidence has just grown and grown. School plays have changed though haven't they? This one had references to Little Britain, X Factor and all sorts of other stuff. Back in the day our play was the same nativity rubbish every year. I was normally a tree, or absent.

We were very lucky to get to go really, first of all L forgot to give us the note telling us when it was. She has been sick as well so we only got the chance to book tickets yesterday (for Wednesday nights performance). So S phones the School to book, "Sorry Mrs B, there are no tickets left". Oh bugger. So I get home yesterday and she is in a right mood. I can understand, really I can, most of the parents of kids at L's school don't work, at all. Not a thing. There is an afternoon performaces that these people with time to spare could go to, but of course they don't , why should they, it would mean them having to get up before 3 in the afternoon? This means us and the others that work are stuffed. Anyhoo, we were late booking, first come first served and all that so not a lot we could do other than grin and bare it. BUT then I get told that L's teacher suggested that L have a sleep in today (she only went back yesterday and is still nothing like 100%), so that she is fresh and ready for the afternoons performace, WTF? S TRIED to explain that we both work but to no avail, surely there are other parents out there who work full time? We all have to take time off to look after our kids when they are sick, but for a teacher to suggest a mornings rest before a Christmas play, mental!

3 comments:

Mikey said...

Getting up at 3!!! That's ridiculous. I'm up at 8:30 every day and after I drop the kids off at school I have time for a quick snooze and still get up before lunch. Wasters!

Donna said...

Hi Paul ... I was ranting to myself along the same lines just this morning. The school has just been extended, so the headteacher invites parents of each key stage to come in on a different day of the week at 3pm for a look at the new facilities. They really don't consider the minority of us that are working. (Not that I'm really interested in spending time looking at new classroom A, new classroom B, etc anyway). But other, more important things, are still scheduled for stupid times. Then you end up feeling like either a bad parent, or a work slacker. Actually I am both, but don't beat myself up about it.

I'm now in danger of writing a longer comment than the original post. I'll go now.

****** said...

Thats ok, I was cut off before I really got going (didn't even explain how we eventually got to see the play!). New TV arrived and I got distracted for 5 hours building the bloody stand, by the time I got back to the computer the rant had gone. Did you hear that Paul, new TV has arrived?