Thursday, February 02, 2006

Half Hour Lunch Breaks

Why? Where I work you are forced to have a lunch break, has to be at least half an hour. If you don't they just take an hour of you anyway. I was thinking today that this is some great employer scam to get people to work for free. You see, "most" people have nothing to do in their lunch break, nada, nill, zip, other than going and getting a sandwich and maybe a paper. The fact is that an hour isn't really long enough to do anything decent, whilst half an hour is too long just to nip out. They know this. So you end up getting said sandwich and then heading back to your desk where you can pretent to read your paper, browse the net for half an hour convincing yourself that you're not actually working. The truth is that most of us are, phone rings do you answer, a colleague drops over to ask some questions, do you answer? Of course you do (well I do anyway). Somebody wants to go for lunch asks "Are you back?", of course you are. So what work have got out of me/you/us is half an hour of FREE time. Thats 2.5 hours a week, cheaky robbing b'stards. Why not just let me go home early and give me the free choice of whether or not I want a lunch break? They sprout crap about the law and number of hours worked but they are more than happy to let you work till gone 7 at night (thats 6 hours without a break if you do a 12 o'clock lunch).

This is the whole reason I started going to the gym, just to make sure that I had something to do in my lunch hour that took the whole hour and left no bonus free time . If only I had the energy to go very day, maybe if I didn't work I would. It might be a slight generalisation but all employers are in fact coonts, bring on that Euro millions rollover and rescue me from the chains of work and the ass holes that torture me every day.

No comments: