Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Pan's Labyrinth Review

A few of the Lads and I went to see Pan’s Labyrinth last night at the flicks.

This was a film I had been looking forward to since stumbling across a review on the Internet, months ago. However, the Isle of Man rarely get’s any “small” films, as the two cinema’s over here tend to play it safe with the mainstream blockbusters, and occasionally both cinema’s show the same film at the same time…

It had been up for 6 Academy Award Nominations, of which it won 3.

It rates at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Even the BBC gives it 5 out of 5. That's almost as good as the Queen herself adding her thumbs up:

The trailer can be viewed here.

Finally and I quote:

“Del Toro's trademark visual flair gets its finest ever chance to shine, rendering the tale onscreen so perfectly that the subtitles are barely needed. Every actor - most notably, Ivana Baquero's wide-eyed Ofelia and Sergi López's vicious, glittering Captain – excels. Compelling from first frame to last, Pan's Labyrinth never misses a chance to wrench, quell or quicken your heart: this visionary project propels Del Toro into the highest league of filmmakers. There can be no excuses. See this film.”

Anyway, all I can say is EXCELLENT.

I really enjoyed it and after 5 mins, I even forgot I was reading subtitles. It is a fantastic story, great acting and riveting. I would love to write a fantastic review, but words aren’t my forte. If you get a chance see it. However, I’ve hyped it up now, and you’ll be let down….

No comments: