Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Choice – What a Bitch!


I hate choice. It’s just too hard. It doesn’t make life simple.

Take my new TV, I have decided that come the New Year Sales I’m off to purchase a new HDTV to welcome in the New Year and be ready for the digital revolution. i.e. HD TV and Xbox 360 HD gaming.

So after extensive research on the Internet, I found the perfect TV for me.

The Panasonic TH-37PV500CAB, and what a beauty it is.

So yesterday, on my day off I visited the local Electrical shop to have a close look at my new baby.

Then what do I see, but a really good picture on the TV next to it.

Which turns out to be a Toshiba 37WLT58?

The Toshiba LCD, has a slightly shaper look than the Panasonic Plasma, but the Panasonic picture looks a “richer” in colour, if you know what I mean.

So I need advice on which to buy.

Panasonic          
Price               £2500
Looks/Aesthetics     Fantastic
Picture Quality     Rich & Colourful
Connections          1 x HDMI, 1 x PC/RGB, 3 x Scart

Toshiba
Price               £1500
Looks/Aesthetics     Not Good
Picture Quality     Very Sharp
Connections          2 x HDMI,1 x PC/RGB, 3 x Scart


To summarise:

My first or initial choice was the Panasonic, which looks fantastic, with a rich and colourful picture. However, it costs an extra thousand, and only has one HDMI interface. All reviews say it’s the dog’s bollocks.

The new challenger is the LCD Toshiba, very sharp picture, is a grand cheaper, has an extra HDMI connection, but aesthetically speaking is relatively Ugly. No reviews out there yet,

I think I shall ignore the cost, as you can’t put a price on a good TV. I shall also ignore the Picture Quality as they both bring something to the Party. It therefore goes down to Aesthetics and connections (i.e. Future proof). Do I need 2 HDMI connections? I deffo need one for SKY HDTV, but then surely I’ll need one for HD DVD/ Blue Ray when they/it comes out…..

So which one…. I know which one I think I’m getting, but your input would be valuable.

TTFN



3 comments:

Donna said...

I have to say I would go for the cheaper one on the basis that the picture is sharper. The stand is uglier, but wouldn't you wall mount it anyway?

Mikey said...

I'd go for the expensive one. Why? Well, you've already decided and I'd like to be on the winning side for a change. Anyway, you'll be able to by 1-in-x-out HDMI boxes soon enough.

****** said...

Personally i'll be getting an LCD. Think i'll wait till a 42" model is affordable though.