Friday, November 11, 2005

Is it Time that Fate took a back Seat?


I have always been a huge believer in Fate, what will be will be.

I have never worried about the future as I can’t change my own destiny. There are probably two reasons for this; firstly it absolves me from any responsibility for my life or actions.

Secondly, most probably because I read too many Fantasy books. The one common theme in all these books is that the main character’s are all born for a reason, a path that they alone must follow to some greater good. That’s me that is, I am travelling a path that will take me to where I need to be, at the time I am meant to be there, and I should just sit back at enjoy the ride, and let life provide along the way.

To this end, as I said, I have never worried about the future at all, so much so I don’t even have a pension plan or savings. I did have a little thought the other day when I mentioned to the lads about cashing in my Endowment Policies for some Christmas cash, that perhaps I should start thinking about my family, my wife and children’s future, and then I remembered the story of what keeps my belief in fate rock solid.

My Ex-Wife.

Now my ex-wife and I never got on, literally never, we argued constantly and violently and more often than not at the bare minimum just ignored each other. We seldom had sex, why would I want to touch that skanky bitch.

Anyhoo, stay together we did, and a baby girl was born, McKenzie Gemma on the 10th June 2002, unfortunately she had an ill-formed heart and she was rushed to Alder Hey’s Childrens Hospital and had open heart surgery when she was 5 days old. Sadly, she never recovered and died in our arms, 6 days later after we agreed to stop her life support.

We argued even more after that, and yet, another child was born, Callum Robert.

Something like 3 or 4 months after he was born we finally spilt up and since then I have married a wonderful person and everyday with her is a blessing. The point is my ex and I hated each other, yet fate conspired to keep us together long enough to produce a child. I firmly believe there was a reason for that union, maybe Callum will grow up to score the winning try in the Rugby World Cup 2018, or maybe his grand child will eventually cure cancer. Who knows? I just know, it was all for a reason.

You might think I am mad, but who cares? That’s why I trundle through life, just going where the flow takes me, not worrying about anything. Only half listening to my mates get rich schemes, no ambition, no problems. Happy as Larry.

What goes around comes around.

Be nice to people, and it will come back to you eventually. I have had some low points, Gemma, and some extremely high points, Callum, Daniel & my Wife. All I know, is that what will be, will be.

Some might even call it my religion.


1 comment:

Ady Hall said...

Bravo, Mr K.

Fate has indeed blessed you through the years with a wonderful missus, fantastic kids (including the extended family), and a great set of friends.

Where you have required stearing, Fate has stuck out it's foot and tripped you back into the proper course of things.

I often follow your example of 'less worry' as you have inspired me to make the right choices in life, not through considered choice (as that has let me down time and time again), but through the ntural path of things. Life Provides. A 2-word philosophy well worth tattooing.

Of course - this would mean so much more if I actually had a great life . . . but you know what I mean. The sentiments are from the heart, n' all that.