Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Tweet this

So, I rang AB Sounds. The largest hi-fi dealership in the City. Main dealers for Yamaha, Pioneer etc, etc.

I was greeted with "Hi, how may I help you?". So far, so good.
I replied with "Yes, I was wondering if you sold replacement tweeters?"

Now I've had plenty of issues with Canadians not understanding plain English; you cannot believe how careful I am with my enunciation.

"Er, could you repeat that?" came his response.

I was in no hurry, so I repeated my question, a little slower this time.
"Er, tell you what, I'll put you through to the Warranty department" [click]

Warranty department I think. What the? But what the hell, phone calls are free in Kanadia.

Two minutes of awful music later

"Hi, how can I help you?" came a jolly Canadian voice.
I thought about my original question. Maybe it was too convoluted.
I went simple with "Do you sell replacement tweeters?"
[pause]
"Tweeters?" he challenged.
"Er...yes" came my rejoinder.
"Er, I don't know what you mean" he said, clearly in some confusion.
"Tweeters. They go in speakers" I said calmly.
"No, I'm sorry, I don't think we carry those, have you tried Radio Shack (Tandy)?"
"Gaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp" I said, hoping against the odds this was his native tongue and might mean something to him.

Unreal. No, it really is amazing. Remember my blog entry about the guy in the Stationery store who offered to put Letter size paper in his fancy photocopier and reduce it to A4? Nice trick.

You can say what you like about the guys in Colebourns. They probably know 10% more about the audio world than a goat. In Candanda, the goats get the management positions.

Celia

p.s. The Canadian word for Tweeter is.....you guessed it....Tweeter.

No comments: