Monday, April 03, 2006

Rabbits, Spiders, Snakes and Rats

God knows where it has come from but my sensual good lady wife wants to get the children a Rabbit.

I actually don’t mind, but I know, just know, who will be left to look after it for 99% of the time, The Wife.

She does too much around the house as it is, without another pet to look after.

Plus how often are the children actually going to “do” anything with the damn thing? It will have to stay outside, and being in the Isle of Man, we are not exactly blessed with long hot summers.

So maybe once a weekend, between May and August it will be taken out a stroked and chased around the back garden…

Is it worth it I ask myself?

Now if everyone went for one of my ideas that would be different. I suggested either Giant Spider (I love spiders), Snake or Rat. I would LOVE a spider for Fathers day, a nice big tarantula.

However, they want a Rabbit.

I suggest the kids read this:

http://www.fuzzy-rabbit.com/faq.htm

And I quote from the above source:

Should I get my child a rabbit?

The short answer is no. Rabbits hate being picked up and cuddled. Most children will want to hug the rabbit and may end up being scratched and bitten. Bunnies don't like losing contact with the ground. They can't run away from predators if you are holding them and they will fight to get put back on the ground. After a while children lose interest in the rabbit, and it ends up in a small cage in the backyard with virtually no human interaction. Rabbits have such a subtle way of communicating that it can be irritating for children who just want to play with the rabbit.”

1 comment:

Donna said...

Seconded. What is the point in a pet rabbit?