Thursday, April 06, 2006

Rant about Lawyers & Social Security

Years ago, I left my then wife, and I walked out with nothing. She kept the House, Car, House Contents, Life Assurance etc, literally everything except my clothes.
As part of this I signed a Divorce Agreement that states:

The husband and wife hereby acknowledge that save as appears hereinafter they have no further financial or property claims on against the other whatsoever.

Which has been fine for the last 11 years, I have not paid maintenance but I do pay half of Callum’s school stuff. This is mainly as I want to feel as if I am involved in his Schooling, involved as it were with his growing up. Plus of course I have bought him clothes etc as and when needed.

Like I said this has been fine for 11 years.

That’s the back story.

Now the other week the ex-wife went to claim Income Support from the DHSS and during the process revealed that I don’t pay maintenance. Now I only have her word on this, but I tend to think it’s true, but she said to the DHSS that she is happy with that and that she doesn’t want to rock the boat as we get along just fine the way it is. However, the DHSS said that she has to seek legal aid and claim the maintenance off me, otherwise they wouldn’t pay her benefits.

So she had no choice but jump through the hoops to get her Income Support.

She then went to the same Lawyers that drafted the original Divorce agreement and told them what the DHSS said.

They have now written to me, and said that the original document didn’t include Maintenance for our Son and that I have to start paying it, and that the DHSS sets the minimum acceptable level of maintenance at £42.40 per week, or £183.73 per calendar month.

Which quite frankly we can’t really afford as we over spend every month as it is.

BUT THAT’S NOT THE POINT.

Who the fuck do the DHSS think they are getting involved in that in the first place? Coooonts.

And what the fuck about the Lawyers, they are now saying that the agreement they wrote doesn’t mean what they said. Coooonts.

Now I have to go to the lawyers at £175 per hour to see where I stand….. Coooonts

All of them are coooooooonts.

If in a worse case scenario I have to start paying, then I should get half of our joint assets at the time of the split, as I only signed everything over in lew of paying maintenance, if I now have to pay maintenance, and add that to the fact I got nothing out of marriage it looks like I was well and truly screwed.

Christ. I just know this is going to end in tears and large wholes in my wages.
Coooooooonts everywhere. Bastards.

No comments: