Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Rantless, Job and Thermopylae

I was hoping to find a rant in me somewhere, but try as I might there’s nothing. I haven’t a single angry bone in my body at the moment. So you are just going to have to put up with some drivel.

After vowing not to look for another job till after bonus time, there was one in the local rag that looked right up my street. It is a Support Engineer, but working as part of a team. If they have a team, it means they have lots to do, which is one of the reasons I don’t like it here. I could cope with the boredom here if they gave me a nice little corner desk and let me play Age of Myth or World of Warcraft all day.

However, the idea was to get away from IT, but I do like the classic support stuff I do, getting something working after the User has spent ages in frustration is a good feeling. Plus this new place offers a Yearly Bonus, Educational support, and non-contributory Pensions…. That’s three things that I don’t have here, plus of course a “competitive salary”.

So I have nothing to lose: I’ll apply and leave it in the hands of the gods. One thing I shall do, which I normally don’t really do, is ensure my CV matches exactly what they want. I shall tailor it to appear that I am the perfect candidate and that my outrageous salary demands are completely acceptable.

In other news, Ady pointed me towards the trailer of a new film 300 which is out later this year. This is all about the Battle of Thermopylae: my favourite Battle of all time. It’s where 300 Spartan’s and some mates, stood up against 4 million Persian’s. The best book I’ve read about it is Gates of Fire, which I very highly recommend anyone to read, seriously, it’s one of the best stories EVER.

My favourite quote from the Trailer:

When the Persian King, Xerxes, tells King Leonidas of Sparta, that their arrows will fill the sky and block out the Sun.

Leonidas, calmly replies, “Then we will fight in the shade”……

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,that here, obedient to their laws, we lie

No comments: