Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Lino, the Watch and the Wherewithal

Let's get it out of the way, I mean the comparison to the Lord of the Rings. As a young-person, I read everything published by both Tolkien and Lewis (even the non-Narnia/Middle-Earth) stuff. So I have no axe to grind.

However.....Wardrobe is simply a better movie than LOTR. There, I said it. LOTR was good, great even. In terms of detail, epicness and sheer cash spent, LOTR is unparalleled in modern times.

But Wardrobe is more intimate, has better acting and is a better tale.

It's a real rollercoaster for the emotions. Although I think most 'men' are gonna have problems letting themselves become immersed in a story about likkle girls with huge talking beavers (oo-er). Especially with the much publicised Christian undertones (undertones? freight-train tones more like).

The battles are top notch, the dialog solid and the cast are engaging (unlike the Star Wars cast of Oscar winners). Susan's added dialogue in particular prevents many scenes from sounding corny like SW and LOTR.

There are a few holes you can pick in it; including some really obvious blue-screen scenes. It felt more BBC-produced than LucasFilm produced. But you shouldn't judge a movie on its budget.

But it didn't feel as long as its 140 min running time suggested. My daughters (6 & 8) were mesmerised from start to finish. Both admitting to shedding tears on multiple occasions. Even Shirley (who has slept through more LOTR scenes than you've had hot dinners) enjoyed it all.

But, it won't win any Oscars. It's not PC (the hero even wields a shield with a British Red Lion emblem, hurrah!). Fauns are not as 'hip' as Sith Lords. And, of course, LOTR winning 300 Oscars means another drought for the fantasy genre.

Remember how enjoyable the old-time fantasy movies were before CGI arrived? This feels more like Jason and the Argonauts than Jurassic Park.

Think Beaver, think Narnia.

2 comments:

Donna said...

I haven't been yet, but you can guarantee I'll ball my eyes out. I cried when Boo! had to go back in Monsters Inc I'm that much of a blubberer ... My ex took my boys today and said that he could see my little one's eyes well-up (he's 6) when Aslam died - it's okay - he reminded me that he comes back to life - before I started crying too. Looking forward to it muchly.

No one Really said...

You had me at the Gaint Talking Beavers...

I'm off.

And talking tears, I'll show you tears..

I'm a big girls blouse. I weep like a open sore at anything..

Wonderful Life..

Neverland (I do believe in Fairy's)